100% Fans all the time?

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am rolling hard in Octane render with a single 2080 super founder's with a open side panel. I loaded up Evga X1 software to see the temps and saw that the fans were only going at 41% and i changed the setting to go full bore 100%. Now I do work off shore some times 28 days out 14 days off or 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

Will running my video card at 100% fan speed all the time while I am home damage the card?

Last edited:
Use logic.
It won't damage your "card". But fans are mechanical which means they are subject to wear. Running them at maximum will definitely cause them to wear out faster rather than mixed speed usage would.
If you really cared to, you could figure out the manufacturer of the fan and have replacements ready to go. Or go as far as to figure out how many rotations an hour it does at maximum speed and what that means for average longevity.

Likely however it won't really matter. If you're planning on replacing the card in 4 years, you'll likely have moved on before there is an issue. Likely even 10 years. No one can say for sure though, you could have a dud. Comes down to statistics and averages. *shrug*

Very True. I do plan on moving to duel 3080TI when ever that comes to market. I don't think it will be a problem because the computer is off when I am gone but I don't know what kind of testing is done at the factory. Why i asked.

Very True. I do plan on moving to duel 3080TI when ever that comes to market. I don't think it will be a problem because the computer is off when I am gone but I don't know what kind of testing is done at the factory. Why i asked.
It has a warranty either way. And generally I’d hope they aren’t offering a warranty for something they would fail sooner on a regular basis.

This shouldn't damage the card itself, but it may cause accelerated wear of the fans. Some fan designs are particularly prone to this and some aren't.

What I would do is a little bit of testing, to see where the optimal spot is on the gpu temperature vs fan speed curve, and then run the fans at that speed. Running fans on a heatsink is an exercise in diminishing returns, so you don't necessarily need to run at 100% to get basically the same results, and you may be able to reduce the noise this produces significantly.

*Dual

The card manufacturer doesn’t do testing. The fan manufacturer does (I guarantee every one of those fans is purchased from an OEM manufacturer) and states it’s expected longevity given a set of constraints.
You could search for the white papers on the fan, which is what I suggested before if you really cared to. But you’re replacing these cards in the next year. You’ll be fine.

You can run 100% all the time, but why? You can use software control and simply setup an aggressive fan curve instead.

I have the custom fan curve on my RTX 2080 setup so that it's at 100% fan at any temperature above 50C - so pretty much any time the card is actually doing anything. But as I sit here just browsing the web, the card is only at 40C even with the fans going slow and quiet. There is absolutely no reason to have the fans going at 100% in situations where the card is already running cool.

The Gpu run's 24/7 when I am not off shore because I am rendering out my projects. when I am not doing that I am always queing up test renders to see what different setting do to my image.

Back