steam sale.. help me pick between 3 options

which title would you choose to play on a steam deck primarily?

• FF7 remake part 1

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • sea of stars

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking for a game that's on sale that has peaked my interest. I am embarrassed to say I have never beaten FF7 the original. Sea of stars has peaked my interested of being an old school jrpg much like Chrono trigger etc... and well CP 2077 has morphed into the game it should have been all along. all look to play well on deck and then goal is to help me wind down at night playing a few hours at a time max. yes I have desktop that I might use but majority of my play time will be on the deck.

I voted Cyberpunk simply due to the absolutely stunning graphics it can offer, but FF7 Remake I liked just as much. One of my favorite games I played these past few years. I recommend both. FF7 Remake is a mostly linear story driven action RPG. Cyberpunk gives you more gameplay styles, an open world, and a lot more side quests. The story is still good, IMO. Depends on what you're looking for, but both are great options.

Never heard of Sea of Stars.

I'd think that Cyberpunk would be the way to go between that and ff7 remake. I haven't heard of sea of stars before. Cyberpunk is only $36 on the Epic games store after coupon for the ultimate edition which includes the phantom liberty expansion.

I'd think that Cyberpunk would be the way to go between that and ff7 remake. I haven't heard of sea of stars before. Cyberpunk is only $36 on the Epic games store after coupon for the ultimate edition which includes the phantom liberty expansion.
not willing to buy on epic games. only steam even if it means paying a higher price

Cyberpunk deserves to be played on a high end PC and not a Steam Deck...so for that reason I would choose FF7 remake

Oh, I missed the Steam Deck part.... (Voted for CP2077)

Then yeah, I agree with polonyc2 - Go with FF7 Remake

I'm not interested in the Final Fantasy remake until it's complete. Sea of Stars looks interesting, I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of it.

well I went very unconventional and picked up lies of P. looks very much like blood borne. granted never got to finish and it was a love hate relationship with that game. this looks to be a spiritual successor and runs 60fps high settings with FRS and 15 watt tdp on the deck. makes me wish I had an OLED deck but I can't justify the cost ATM. anyways I will close the poll.

When you get around to playing Sea of Stars, you can revisit this thread and let everybody know Seymour was right.

well I went very unconventional and picked up lies of P. looks very much like blood borne. granted never got to finish and it was a love hate relationship with that game. this looks to be a spiritual successor and runs 60fps high settings with FRS and 15 watt tdp on the deck. makes me wish I had an OLED deck but I can't justify the cost ATM. anyways I will close the poll.
You made the right choice. Except for not getting the OLED.

I caved and got both! at 35$ its to hard to pass that price up on Epic Games

Honestly none of the above. Not because those games aren't good, but rather I agree with others on the view that I'd primarily use Steam Deck to play games that don't require high end graphics cards to max out. Things like previous generation games, emulators, 2d platformers, etc. The other purpose of which, to play these games while I'm out and about. Because otherwise it just makes way more sense to play on desktop with nicer hardware, both in terms of things like graphics cards, but also displays/keyboard/mice as well. Heck even if you're a controller user, getting to use whatever specific controller you want instead of Steam Deck's singular option.

I'd probably pick games like Ghostrunner, Ori, Hollow Knight, Disco Elysium, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, DoS 2, BG3 (which is a current gen title, but is turn based so doesn't need a super high frame-rate), etc. Just all dependent on what you've played already or not. Or otherwise go through your Steam library and play all the older titles that you may have lying around.

I'd reserve games like Cyberpunk and AW2 for desktop to be enjoyed in all of their RT glory.

Honestly none of the above. Not because those games aren't good, but rather I agree with others on the view that I'd primarily use Steam Deck to play games that don't require high end graphics cards to max out. Things like previous generation games, emulators, 2d platformers, etc. The other purpose of which, to play these games while I'm out and about. Because otherwise it just makes way more sense to play on desktop with nicer hardware, both in terms of things like graphics cards, but also displays/keyboard/mice as well. Heck even if you're a controller user, getting to use whatever specific controller you want instead of Steam Deck's singular option.

I'd probably pick games like Ghostrunner, Ori, Hollow Knight, Disco Elysium, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, DoS 2, BG3 (which is a current gen title, but is turn based so doesn't need a super high frame-rate), etc. Just all dependent on what you've played already or not. Or otherwise go through your Steam library and play all the older titles that you may have lying around.

I'd reserve games like Cyberpunk and AW2 for desktop to be enjoyed in all of their RT glory.
Disagree.... graphics are not everything. I do have a desktop (while mild) it can handle any game I throw at it.

Disagree.... graphics are not everything. I do have a desktop (while mild) it can handle any game I throw at it.
If you're not interested in my advice, that's fine, but you're missing my point.

The Steam Deck is limited on power literally and figuratively. CP2077 you're going to struggle even getting a locked 30fps at low graphics settings. While 30fps is more forgiving on a controller you could easily be playing the game at 60fps on fairly low-end desktop hardware. You'll also be limited to less than 1.5 hours, due to how power intensive of an app it is.

This is opposed to an emulator or a game like Hollow Knight where you could be hitting well over 4-5 hours and actually hit locked 60 or 90 fps. If your argument is that you're just going to be plugged in all the time anyway, then I'd say you bought the wrong device. It would've been more worthwhile to have purchased a gaming laptop instead.

Again, you can disagree with me, but basically all my recommendations are to lean into the Steam Deck's strengths. If you're not interested than feel free to ignore me.

Last edited:
Back