Started collecting DOS & CD games

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Just picked up Kings Quest 5. I had a thing back at the old Department store looking at the Kings Quest 5 box wishing I didn't have a Nintendo but had a PC instead. I really want to buy some of the old Ultima Games. I had a neighborhood friend who said people just rot playing Ultima for years. One look at the decked out player houses in Ultima Online you know it's true.

You can buy all the King's Quest and Ultima games on GOG if you can't find boxed copies.

I just want the box I noticed they are not on Steam. Would be interesting if the install disks still work on a USB floppy drive.

May be cheating but there is a later collection of the Ultima games that came out around the time of Ultima 9.

The era where the art was not link to the game graphic much if at all could be interesting art to have

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gbc/250594-heroes-of-might-and-magic/boxes/42286

quest_for_glory_1_heros_quest_a_front.jpg
6a00e008dbc8a188340278801b6ae5200d-600wi.jpg

i imagine ebay will have vintage pc games with box-disk-cdrom

I love the Sierra & Ultima games, and have collected almost all of them. Fortunately I did it at a time they weren't hugely expensive. Sadly, now if you're trying to purchase them, they can be very expensive to get boxed copies. Some of the rarer ones can run into the thousands.

Picked up Shrouded Isles and Trials of Atlantis DAOC expansions both sealed so I have the set now. I'm missing the poster from my DAOC edition though I'm going to seal them in comic book bags they have XL magazine bags that will seal out water damage. I might pick up a shelf for them.

If you look on eBay the original EQ 1 goes for money and Duke Nukem early versions of Doom go for thousands not sure if they sell like hot cakes it's a niche market.

Digital games took the fun out of game collecting find it funny soon as digital distribution took off quality of games went down.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230807-122820.png

Only popular stuff obscure stuff like Dog Days Kane and Lynch doesn't go for much even though it's a fun game.

Last edited:
If you browse for this stuff add auctions to your watchlist the seller will get a email that your interested the seller might knock 15.00 off the price if it's been listed for weeks or months

Are you keeping any of those pillows in their original sealed packaging to display on a shelf with these games, or maybe to sell on ebay in 20 years when they become collectables?

View attachment 588654

Only popular stuff obscure stuff like Dog Days Kane and Lynch doesn't go for much even though it's a fun game.
I never understood this.

Anyway, as you mentioned, actual rare stuff seldom goes for much. I have a few games that you can't even pirate, but I doubt I'd get more than a dollar or two. Anyway, as mentioned earlier, I was fortunate when I decided to complete my collection. It was at the time when parents were all selling their children's games, and no one cared to keep them. I completed my collection of every Sierra game sans for Ultima: Escape From Mount Drash, and I only spent a few dollars on all of them. Now, things like the black box version of Space Quest go for hundreds.

Reddit has a games collecting forum but everyone collects console games not sure why that is I suppose both are on PC and console. One thing Console games don't have are MMO games and early games before consoles got good. I think when Doom hit Nintendo 64 games started to cross over to PC. Theres Nintendo Ultima games but the PC version is better like with Ultima the Black Gate the SNES version is bad.

I tossed out a few games which I wish I didn't like Doom3 and Far Cry started taking up too much space.

Screenshot_20230809-010311.png

Wata grading services prices not sure if they add acrylic box to anything they grade. The other company CGC or whatever doesn't grade PC games.

It's kinda silly to grade games since the game could be in a Humid environment and wreck the manual the grade is for the outside of the box the problem with even Comic books the paper is Acidic so maybe in 400 years the comic will be in bad shape unless the seal in the box is so good but I don't think these cases are full proof unless the are in a controlled museum with regulated temps like what they do with 1000 year old paintings . Someone said the only pick up games from Canada for that reason.

I'm just going to use oversize Life magazine comic book bags and maybe something to stand them up. Just helped a guy on Reddit who had about 209 games manuals and prima guides he wasn't sure how to store them.

Update:
I found some bigger bags on Amazon Newspaper size!! 14x19 should be good for most anything they had bigger 16x19 bags but don't need that big of bags
should be good for collectors editions to protect them from moisture damage.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230810-034457.png

Type in collectors edition game I found that is where all the stuff pops up.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230810-042303.png

If you remember this one I don't even think it came out if it did I forget the back History.

Have 4 games out for delivery today
I got a sealed copy of Dark Age of Camelot Shrouded Isles the other day but the game had something heavy on it while the owner stored it box is caved in a bit but zero shelf wear. Plus the game was only 10.00 to boot so I'm not complaining. I plan on buying MMOs game since collecting console games is just silly to me. The only reason why that stuff is popular is Nintendo alone with it's fanbase.

Ran into a problem when you buy stuff make sure you can see the front and back of the box I had a store sticker on the back of a Sealed copy of Rift Storm Legion I'm going to buy the game again. Was hoping for a nice condition of Trials of Atlantis that copy had more shelf wear than I thought it would had to buy that again. People just don't know how to store these games for 10 plus years or more. I had someone offer me a copy of DAOC gold edition for 1.25 lol I would have picked it up but the box went through a hurricane.

Last edited:
Entered the code for Dark Age of Camelot Gold Edtion on the Broadsword website said the code is expired lol. Only way to get a account with all the characters is subscription would really like to create a caster mage with a the nuke.
But I can just play with my Blademaster and be happy I guess it's no different than any other Tank out there.

Last edited:
I'm done buying stuff this shit gets heavy after a while I'll post a pic once everything arrives. The main problem is if you want them to be in mint condition it's not going to happen. Displaying them is also a problem going to rotate them out instead if buying a shelf.

If you try and collect a EverQuest 1 set it's going to cost a ton and alot of the boxes are damaged in eBay.

I rebought several games because the condition was bad with the 1st copy I purchased you can't just blindly start buying stuff. Like the tin for EQ2 naturally rusts with either air or moisture mine has a corded edge plus rusted flecks. The others on eBay are the same quality just in bad shape. I also screwed up buying a copy of Warhammer Online it was sealed but missing the cover slip. Also purchase a Art Book from Everquest 2 but it's the same book included in the collectors edition.

You out really need to know your stuff and pictures are all you got to go by.

Last edited:
IMG_20230818_110922692.jpg

Probably won't be worth much down the road but at least the games don't suck all MMOs I think I just got a thing for early 3D graphics. Always wanted Storm Legion expansion now I have two of them to look over both sealed. Plus I picked up a sealed Rift Collectors Edition. Dark Age of Camelot sealed Shrouded and Atlantis sealed.

I have the wrapped up in bigger Comic Books Bags Life Bags or Newspaper size bags.

Back