Building a gaming PC: Wait for black friday sales or just buy parts now?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I am planning to build a gaming and photo editing rig either later this year or early next year and was wondering if it's worth waiting until there are Black Friday sales If it's likely that there will be good deals to be had on parts.

The goal is to build a system that will play 4K current titles at least at 60 frames per second highest settings. Retracing is still too niche, so i'm thinking of getting an AMD 7900XTX for strong performance non raytracing. Either 32 or 64g RAM, and either 2 or 4tb primary storage and at least 40tb HDD for photos (lots of uncompressed RAW files) and music.

I was thinking I would wait until black friday to order parts. Do you all think it's worth waiting until then, if there would likely be good sales to be had?

Unless you're desperate, I'd wait. It's only maybe 6-7 weeks until Black Friday deals will start appearing. Just start getting your build list together and settled now so you're ready to jump when any sales begin.

There's also the Intel 14th-gen parts supposedly coming out in 2-3 weeks, if that's a factor for you.

Do keep in mind that 14th gen parts will offer little in the way of performance upgrades, unless you count having more E cores across the board.

If high core count isn't important I'd give the 7800X3D a hard look. It's one hell of a gaming CPU. Will pair nicely with that 7900 XTX you plan to get.

Do keep in mind that 14th gen parts will offer little in the way of performance upgrades, unless you count having more E cores across the board.

If high core count isn't important I'd give the 7800X3D a hard look. It's one hell of a gaming CPU. Will pair nicely with that 7900 XTX you plan to get.
Yeah, from the reading I just did on the 14th gen, it doesn't really look like it's offering much that a gamer would care about.

Yeah, from the reading I just did on the 14th gen, it doesn't really look like it's offering much that a gamer would care about.
Nope, it's mostly about laptops in this refresh. All you get are a few more E cores on desktop per product segment.

I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping for a deal on a 13600k. 12xxx series were going for cheap prices to clear old stock.

Back