AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5570 Video Card Review @ [H]

Brent_Justice

AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5570 Video Card Review @ [H] -
Today, AMD is launching the Radeon HD 5570. At $75-85 MSRP, the Radeon HD 5570 sits in-between the Radeon HD 5450 and Radeon HD 5670. The question on the table is, what is its value when the Radeon HD 5670 sits close in price? We’ll bring this question to bare, and show you our gameplay experiences, and provide our opinions on the value of this video card.

Last edited:
they sure do have some odd names for the lower end cards. the 5570 seems like it would be called the 5650. I mean its the same specs except for the memory is gddr3. also the $80-$100 range is now flooded with cards of vastly different levels of performance. you can get a turd or a decent little gaming card for practically the same price.

It's when you see all AMDs offering do you appreciate the differences in their highend and lowend markets.

Wouldve been nice to see this compared to other low profile cards (4650, 95/96/9800gt, etc). Trying to compare it using [H] reviews is difficult. Judging by this, its a little worse than the 5670, which is better than the gt 240, which is worse than a 9600 gt. Judging by the gt 240 review, a low profile 9600 gt card would beat this in strict performance but use more power, create more heat, and require a double slot cooler. Im curious if the gap is big enough to justify that.

Personally I think they dropped the ball on this one. Both the 5450 and 5570 need more grunt for their prices.

Bitstream Audio is now the big plus, but no gains on the graphics/processing end :(

I am a little confused as to why this isn't called a 5650 since both the 5670 and 5570 have 400 streaming processors

I am a little confused as to why this isn't called a 5650 since both the 5670 and 5570 have 400 streaming processors
yeah I said the same thing. its just as silly as the 4550 and 4350 which have the same specs except for the memory speed. their naming scheme on the low end cards just doesnt make any sense.

seems to me they are really trying to get rid of all these binned chips that are left over from the garbage yields.. nothing wrong though with giving customers choices.. not to mention by doing this is also pushes nvidia out of the low end market by flooding it with so many choices.. basically leaves no room for nvidia to continue to compete with them on the low end.. though on the other hand i think we will start seeing more of these low end cards in pre-built systems like dell and HP.. which could also be why ATI felt the need to fill in that small price gap..

This card is very interesting for anyone who can only use a half-height card in their PC. It's the fastest "balanced" card available in this form factor. There are one or two faster half-height cards scattered about but they are power consumption behemoths like the 9800GT.

My friend is looking for a graphics card for his HP Slimline PC to permit him to play some games and this looks ideal for his purposes. A slim 9800GT would be way too hot/loud and the PSU wouldn't get along well with it. Until this card came along he was looking at 4550-level performance (same as 5450 basically). This is a big step up from that while still keeping power consumption, heat and noise within sane limits.

However. The card is, in my opinion, overpriced at the moment. Probably (hopefully!) just because it's brand new, because the pricing ruins it a bit.

I don't understand why someone would pay under 100$ for a NEW video card to play NEW games on. If you are going to spend 60$ on a new games why can't you spend twice that on a video card when they deliver so much more preformance.

I remember being in college and buying 100$ video cards on super special from Frys. I also wasn't spending more than about 20$ on a video game though.

Now that I think about it I suspect most of these people may be playing these games but not paying for these games. Only thing that makes any sense to me.

I don't understand why someone would pay under 100$ for a NEW video card to play NEW games on. If you are going to spend 60$ on a new games why can't you spend twice that on a video card when they deliver so much more preformance.

I remember being in college and buying 100$ video cards on super special from Frys. I also wasn't spending more than about 20$ on a video game though.

Now that I think about it I suspect most of these people may be playing these games but not paying for these games. Only thing that makes any sense to me.

Or maybe they don't have alot of extra cash for their PC? Only pirates don't buy a 5970, right?

Or maybe they don't have alot of extra cash for their PC? Only pirates don't buy a 5970, right?

So you are going to buy a 60$ video card to play a single 60$ video game poorly? There are much better options at the 100-150$ mark.

Could you please give me some of what you are smoking ?

I am surprised you didn't conclude that most of these people are divorced, or gay, or blond.

Maybe you are saving it for fermi? So you are a green fanboy. How's that for logical assumptions ?

Could you please give me some of what you are smoking ?

I am surprised you didn't conclude that most of these people are divorced, or gay, or blond.

Maybe you are saving it for fermi? So you are a green fanboy. How's that for logical assumptions ?

I don't even know how to respond to this.

You're saying they would be better off buying a 60$ video card to barely run a single 60$ game verse spending 100$ on a much better video card to run 3 20$ games that would actually LOOK better? But evidently I'm the one smoking something?

Sometimes I think these arrays of cards are produced to help big box stores justify the increasing costs of side-by-side systems. Or that Dell customization screen:

$0: AMD 5450 (selected)
+$50: AMD 5570
+$100: AMD 5670

You're saying they would be better off buying a 60$ video card to barely run a single 60$ game verse spending 100$ on a much better video card to run 3 20$ games that would actually LOOK better? But evidently I'm the one smoking something?
I know what I am going to say is hard to believe, but some people actually play games for the gameplay, and eye-candy comes only as a secondary concern. (That is so weird! Yes, I know! What are they thinking!!)

Those people first decide on what games they want to play, and then figure out how much money they have left for video card upgrades. (Instead of what normal, sane people like you do, buying a video card first and then use the remaining change to buy whatever games you can afford.)

Hope this clears things up a bit.

So you are going to buy a 60$ video card to play a single 60$ video game poorly? There are much better options at the 100-150$ mark.

It looks more like a light gaming +htpc card. It could even be used for CS4 acceleration.

Also, why do you pay $60 for PC games? I think MW2 was the only one to debut at that price

did the article have anything the noise? both 5450 and this 5570 are aimed @HTPC crowd playing blu-rays :D. so if the fan starts whirling during movies... :(

BUT i think gamers are OK w/fans spinning during gaming, you kind of expect that to go hand in hand these days :D. by gaming i don't even mean the latest games, i just mean stuff like solitaire, quake3 (older classics), pong, card games, or even light warcraft3-esque games =). just my 2cents

I know what I am going to say is hard to believe, but some people actually play games for the gameplay, and eye-candy comes only as a secondary concern. (That is so weird! Yes, I know! What are they thinking!!)

Those people first decide on what games they want to play, and then figure out how much money they have left for video card upgrades. (Instead of what normal, sane people like you do, buying a video card first and then use the remaining change to buy whatever games you can afford.)

Hope this clears things up a bit.

If all you want is good game play, why would you buy fewer newer games? If anything game play has gone down in recent years.

It looks more like a light gaming +htpc card. It could even be used for CS4 acceleration.

Also, why do you pay $60 for PC games? I think MW2 was the only one to debut at that price

HTPC card is the only thing that makes sense to me on this card. And you're right, most PC games are 50$ not 60$.

Ati are not leaving much wiggle room for nvidia. The average person probably won't even consider nvidia once the see that shiny dx11 sticker on these things.

I think nvidia should hold onto that 9xxx naming scheme for the time being. 9xxx is greater than 5xxx after all.

Is there anything people wont blame piracy for?

People want to buy decent hardware at a low cost?! Stupid file sharers! Earthquakes in tropical nations?! Software pirates did it!

I think a lot of people are mistaking this for a consumer-level card when it's more likely meant for OEMs. Yes, it will be available for us to purchase, but it won't be a very good idea for most who can afford the extra $20 (exceptions for room in case, budget, etc.). However, at the OEM level, they are offering a cheap card that performs very well for the price...so it may well find its way into a bunch of "gaming" systems.

I'm just glad that their naming scheme makes some sense so that people will understand where it fits in the hierarchy of AMD's cards. Then they can upgrade if they choose.

EDIT: speelung mishtakes

i like it, low profile, decent muscle, price will come down soon too, i'll upgrade to this

It would be lovely if an AIB comes up with a underclocked 5670 in low profile (or, alternately, fit GDDR5 on 5570).

This is a FLAWED and maybe lazy review.. why would be pair this card with such a high end processor? Seriously, the person buying this card will not be using the cpu the reviewer used. They will mostly likely be using a dual core, older generation dual core or a low end quad. They will be probably be installing the card in pc they bought at best buy with integrated graphics.

Come on.. mix apples with apples.

Re-review..

This is a FLAWED and maybe lazy review.. why would be pair this card with such a high end processor? Seriously, the person buying this card will not be using the cpu the reviewer used. They will mostly likely be using a dual core, older generation dual core or a low end quad. They will be probably be installing the card in pc they bought at best buy with integrated graphics.

Re-review..
Yeah, I wish they had reviewed this with a Pentium III, that way we could see how much a CPU could bottleneck the card instead of what the card is actually capable of. :rolleyes:

My faith in humanity is at dangeriously low levels recently. :(

Im all for removing the CPU bottleneck in the reviews, but it really is a terribly lazy review. I dont know why they bothered doing it if they didnt address any questions someone looking for a low profile htpc and/or light gaming card would have. For all the noise [H] makes about having the most legit reviews and blah blah blah, Im finding myself reading AT more and more to get a clue as to whats really going on.

Re-review..

The reason why you pair video cards with high end processors is so that you get numbers which represent the actual performance of the video card. If you pair it with a Celeron, or some other cheap processor you don't get true performance numbers. You get numbers which reflect cheaper components within the system.

In terms of buying anything below $200 I just don't do it. It just doesn't make any sense to even consider buying a cheap video card when you know you are going to game on your computer. $200 isn't much considering the cost of a XBOX 360 or PS3. If you gaming on your computer as though it were a console why wouldn't you put a video card in it that coincides with the desired function?

Re-review..

An interesting point though I think you're rattling your saber a bit overmuch. While using a CPU appropriate for the card is a good idea, it's really opening a big can of worms in terms of which one goes with which card. There are many people who get high end CPUs but don't get a corresponding video card and vice versa. No matter where the [H] draw the line, many people would be left out of the comparison.

That said, if this article is truly meant as a "real-world gameplay analysis," I do believe that a representative system should be used. After all, a poorly equipped system may have a negligible difference between the 5450 and the 5570 in terms of playable settings. Kyle and Co., maybe you could mention some of these issues in your final summation or preface your article with the "thesis" question your review will answer.

How snug is it, which Shuttle model is it, and what kind of temps do you have to deal with? I love SSF systems but can never get really good cards in it.

Where is the [H] ??

usually give cards n sstuff a review you give it some kinda rating of
the [H] aka gold silver bronze or pass / fail ??

Where does this one go ?

How snug is it, which Shuttle model is it, and what kind of temps do you have to deal with? I love SSF systems but can never get really good cards in it.

Shuttle SP35P2V2 <---- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3680386&CatId=1210

all i had to do is remove a corner of the plastic shroud (doesnt affect air flow). My temps are great... I replaced the main shuttle fan with a vantec stealth blowing in... my 8500e was o/c to 4ghz.. temps were around 70 on the card with full load. As opposed to my full tower with a twin turbo on it ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCTIC-COOLING-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439cd29e8f ) running @ 55-60 full load 35 idle... its pretty good... I didnt think a 400w psu would hold up but it did

Interesting u couldnt get good cards to fit... i got my 9800x2 in it just fine and my 4890. (again i just had 2 remove a small corner of the shrouds)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the reply. :) This computer is driving me nuts so I'm researching options...and that means I can consider SFFs again...yay! It's entirely possible that I could have been a bit more creative to cram them in but I was worried about temps, etc.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the review. :)

For people on a tight budget who want something for their HTPC for 1080p movies and such the 5570 would be a perfect low-cost solution. For gaming, spending the additional $20 for the 5670 would be a better choice.

Thanks for the review. :)

For people on a tight budget who want something for their HTPC for 1080p movies and such the 5570 would be a perfect low-cost solution. For gaming, spending the additional $20 for the 5670 would be a better choice.

But maybe not, because the kind of system they would put together may not show any net benefit between the 5570 and the 5450 depending on their hardware. This is why I do wish the [H] clarified things a bit. My computer's the perfect example. Everything is stuck at 1280x1024, the hardware is slow (I was unemployed when I built it), and I bet both cards would be stuck with no AA and mostly the same settings.

Back