Samsung ToC v. LED v. 60Hz

Vision

Limp Gawd
Im in the market for a new HD tv, and have had good experiences with Samsung in the past. I'll mainly be using it for PS3 games and Blu Ray movies. I just want to know how their ToC televisions compare with their LED's, which are way more expensive, compared against their regular HD Tv's.
Also, how much does the refresh rate matter with console gaming? would 120Hz be a large improvement over 60Hz?

I don't think current consoles even output 120Hz signal so you don't have to worry about that.

alright thanks. Although does anyone know if the ToC versions are worth the extra $ you would spend on them?

Touch of Color is just the red bezel around the screen.

As for 120Hz, I believe they also have less response lag at 60Hz.

120Hz will cause input lag in games. What a HDTV does is create images an inserts them in between actual frames from the source to create a smoothing effect.

The creation and insertion of these frames in 120Hz mode will cause input lag. Gamers needs to switch to the standard 60Hz mode.

240Hz HDTVs will induce even more input lag.

Not sure 240Hz would really cause more lag as the TV still uses a 24, 30 or 60fps input and processes the picture twice as fast. Oh, and 120Hz or 240Hz screens can output 24fps properly.

As for Touch of Color, I really don't think a red bezel is worth $600.

The only two LCD displays that actually take 120Hz from the video card are the Samsung 2233rz and the Viewsonic VX2265wm, which are both 22" TN monitors. All 120Hz, 240Hz and 480Hz LCD TVs (yes, ALL of them) take no more than 60Hz from the video card, and insert duplicate frames, so they do nothing at all for gaming.

You'll also need to find out which 120Hz LCD TVs actually bother to output 24fps correctly (some of them don't, which is /facepalm worthy). I suggest reading avsforum.com - they are the HardOCP of the LCD TV market.

Lots of false information here , first off the viewsonic 120hz computer monitor has some of if not the lowest input lag (its been tested) around .. and for gamers 120hz offers a much smoother gameplay experience , mouse feels more responsive in 120hz mode in windows and in games , motion is much much better and makes it easier to spot and aim since its not blurry. Case in point , in COD4 my score went up a crazy amount ( I was gaming on a A650 40 inch Samsung LCD before hand in HDMI/2 PC mode which makes the input lag decently low) because I could better spot people in the distance and had a smoother experience aiming plus I felt more responsive in general dealing with avoiding getting shot.

I own the Samsung 120hz monitor and there is no way I could go back to gaming on a 60hz monitor , the difference is that noticable. Until you try it , you really have no idea what your talking about.

Lots of false information here , first off the viewsonic 120hz computer monitor has some of if not the lowest input lag (its been tested) around .. and for gamers 120hz offers a much smoother gameplay experience , mouse feels more responsive in 120hz mode in windows and in games , motion is much much better and makes it easier to spot and aim since its not blurry. Case in point , in COD4 my score went up a crazy amount ( I was gaming on a A650 40 inch Samsung LCD before hand in HDMI/2 PC mode which makes the input lag decently low) because I could better spot people in the distance and had a smoother experience aiming plus I felt more responsive in general dealing with avoiding getting shot.

I own the Samsung 120hz monitor and there is no way I could go back to gaming on a 60hz monitor , the difference is that noticable. Until you try it , you really have no idea what your talking about.

I own the exact same screen and cannot use the HDMI2/PC input in 120hz. By default the option is grayed out. What did you do to enable it?

I own the exact same screen and cannot use the HDMI2/PC input in 120hz. By default the option is grayed out. What did you do to enable it?

Oh I didn't use it in 120hz mode you can't while its in HDMI/2 PC mode , its just straight up 60hz in that mode.

ahh, ok. I love the screen though, even though DX10 games dont work right with my 4870x2 :(

If games only run at 60Hz anyway, what is the benefit to gaming on a 120Hz monitor?

TVs, yo. Everyone in this thread except the person two posts above yours was talking about TVs. You and one other person are talking about computer monitors. What you said about your computer monitor is not true with TVs.

If games only run at 60Hz anyway, what is the benefit to gaming on a 120Hz monitor?

Nothin', for a PS3. If you are on the 22" [real] 120Hz monitors you will get reduced motion blur (doesn't matter much for PS3 games), otherwise no difference.

Back