Pentium D 940 to Q8200

soccrstar

Limp Gawd
Will I see a noticeable difference upgrading? i'm going down in speed to 2.33ghz but up in cores to 4.

I run Gentoo Linux. So all software is compiled.

currently using GA-965P-S3 which I think is dieing. Or could be my processor. I had to declock it to 2.4ghz for it to be stable. factory its 3.2ghz so I need a budget motherboard as well. could very well only be the cpu too. I've had it for several years. bought the pendium D for around 300 off newegg. (if that gives you a timeframe).

as I was typing this, I did a quick search and noticed my version rev1 does not support quad core anyways so I need to upgrade the board. Im buying the Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G. this system should last another 4-5 years hopefully.

Thanks in Advance

That processor at 2.33GHz does about twice the work per core as the Pentium D's did. I've got a system with a Pentium D 945, and my old E6550 ran circles around it and wasn't near as hot.

That processor at 2.33GHz does about twice the work per core as the Pentium D's did. I've got a system with a Pentium D 945, and my old E6550 ran circles around it and wasn't near as hot.

lol cool. thank you for you reply.

I think i'll bite the bullet and get it. takes over 24 hours (nonstop) to compile kde4 from start (scratch) to finish on my pentium D. so perhaps i'll get reduced to bout 12-15hrs. maybe less.

takes 2-3 days of non-stop compiling to build gentoo. :eek:

I cant afford much. Seeing microcenter has that sell i'll will purchase it online for pickup and get it when I head into boston this weekend.

thanks again for your swift reply!!

It's definitely worth it. The extra cores will be nice, and clock for clock the Q8200 is probably more than twice as fast as a Pentium D.

ok. thanks for the informations.

I will buy it.Now if only stupid microcenter will work with my card :-(

keeps saying billing address doesn't match. when it does. I even copied and pasted it word for word and still no go :-(

I just wanted to go to the desk pick it up and leave. *sighs*

I had the exact problem when I tried to use my CC online at Microcenter. Their online system blows.

wohoo.

Im typing on my brand NEW Core 2 Quad Q8200 via a GA-EP45-DS3L

it was the same price as the GA-P31-ES3G. you just pay more up front for the EP45. it was a mail in rebate of 20 bucks which brings it down to 74.99. YaY.

wohoo.

Im typing on my brand NEW Core 2 Quad Q8200 via a GA-EP45-DS3L

it was the same price as the GA-P31-ES3G. you just pay more up front for the EP45. it was a mail in rebate of 20 bucks which brings it down to 74.99. YaY.

That's a MUCH nicer motherboard, good going :D

Enjoy :D

Great combo. Should be a nice work horse. I would still buy an after market cooler. During the summer time even that Quad will produce some heat. Also 2.8-3.0GHZ should be an easy O/C for you. ;)

Great combo. Should be a nice work horse. I would still buy an after market cooler. During the summer time even that Quad will produce some heat. Also 2.8-3.0GHZ should be an easy O/C for you. ;)

thank you!!

I did buy an aftermarket cooler. XIGMATEK hdt-S963/S1283 120MM. CPU at 24C!!! my Pentium D was running at 65C idle and that had a thermaltake!!!

its amazing how low of a temp these 45nm cpus run

actually, I believe a 486 DX33 would be your best bet.

just kidding.... :) It'll be a HUGE difference!

You should get some more ram. It's practically free these days. 4gigs would go nicely with that quad core!

You should get some more ram. It's practically free these days. 4gigs would go nicely with that quad core!

hello,

Yea, I didn't want to buy the ram at microcenter. Ordering it online. I saw this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

its a gskill DDR2 1066 2x2gb (4gb) kit running 5-5-5-15 timings for $55 shipped.

I'll order them when I get back home tomorrow. should have them by thurs/friday.

4GB of ram should go nicely with linux, especially with all that compiling and codes flying around. and more stuff can go to memory instead of using the swap space on the HDD.

lol cool. thank you for you reply.

I think i'll bite the bullet and get it. takes over 24 hours (nonstop) to compile kde4 from start (scratch) to finish on my pentium D. so perhaps i'll get reduced to bout 12-15hrs. maybe less.

takes 2-3 days of non-stop compiling to build gentoo. :eek:

I cant afford much. Seeing microcenter has that sell i'll will purchase it online for pickup and get it when I head into boston this weekend.

thanks again for your swift reply!!

A couple of tips:

If you have extra ram, take advantage of /dev/ram0 :)
Make sure you use -j <something>

I have a dual xeon (8 cores @ 2.33ghz) with 16G ram @ work and it seems pretty fast to compile stuff when using -j64 or so & making an 8GB ram drive and mounting it on /usr/src.

A couple of tips:

If you have extra ram, take advantage of /dev/ram0 :)
Make sure you use -j <something>

I have a dual xeon (8 cores @ 2.33ghz) with 16G ram @ work and it seems pretty fast to compile stuff when using -j64 or so & making an 8GB ram drive and mounting it on /usr/src.

thank you for the info. with the pentium D I was using -j3

now that I have a quad core i'll be using -j5. rule of the thumb from what I learn was the total number of cores that you have +1. I just placed an order for 4GB of 1066 ram. Only thing with using a ram drive for the sources with gentoo is that it doesn't delete the previous things it compiles it keeps them on the HDD. but I probably wont do the ram drive until I get another 4GB. til than, i'll figure out how I will use this ram drive.

P.S. I easily got my quad core to 2.8ghz. Ram running at 804mhz. i'm sure speeds would be little faster once I quadruple my ram and get the 1066mhz gskills. I cant go any higher than this. its the lowest "gear" I can set it to in order to keep my ram within the 800mhz specs. My goal is 3.2ghz than i'll be a happy man.

now that I have a quad core i'll be using -j5. rule of the thumb from what I learn was the total number of cores that you have +1. I just placed an order for 4GB of 1066 ram. Only thing with using a ram drive for the sources with gentoo is that it doesn't delete the previous things it compiles it keeps them on the HDD. but I probably wont do the ram drive until I get another 4GB. til than, i'll figure out how I will use this ram drive.

P.S. I easily got my quad core to 2.8ghz. Ram running at 804mhz. i'm sure speeds would be little faster once I quadruple my ram and get the 1066mhz gskills. I cant go any higher than this. its the lowest "gear" I can set it to in order to keep my ram within the 800mhz specs. My goal is 3.2ghz than i'll be a happy man.

Once I had the ramdrive up & working making a kernel even -j24 on my 8 core system wouldn't get my load to 8......so I tried 64 & that seemed to work :)

hello,

Yea, I didn't want to buy the ram at microcenter. Ordering it online. I saw this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

its a gskill DDR2 1066 2x2gb (4gb) kit running 5-5-5-15 timings for $55 shipped.

I'll order them when I get back home tomorrow. should have them by thurs/friday.

4GB of ram should go nicely with linux, especially with all that compiling and codes flying around. and more stuff can go to memory instead of using the swap space on the HDD.

Actually, MC *carries* name-brand system memory (including Kingston, PNY and Corsair; I bought my 1 GB XMS2 [DDR2-800/5-5-5-18] sticks at the Fairfax, VA MC), not just "brand X" (which is actually unbadged Buffalo or Kingston ValueRAM).

Actually, MC *carries* name-brand system memory (including Kingston, PNY and Corsair; I bought my 1 GB XMS2 [DDR2-800/5-5-5-18] sticks at the Fairfax, VA MC), not just "brand X" (which is actually unbadged Buffalo or Kingston ValueRAM).

He bought G.Skill. That's not a "Brand X" product. It's actually very very good quality brand. And PNY? Seriously? I wouldn't touch them with someone else's money.

He bought G.Skill. That's not a "Brand X" product. It's actually very very good quality brand. And PNY? Seriously? I wouldn't touch them with someone else's money.

I've had zero problems with PNY (specifically, the higher-end Optima memory); it's what I used in my Northwood-C.

PNY is an old and respected memory company that has been making decent but low cost memory for years now. While I don't buy their products, it doesn't mean I wouldn't. They're just not very exciting like OCZ, Corsair, or Mushkin is.

I hate PNY video cards though. Bad experience with their 6800GT ruined me on those.

PNY is an old and respected memory company that has been making decent but low cost memory for years now. While I don't buy their products, it doesn't mean I wouldn't. They're just not very exciting like OCZ, Corsair, or Mushkin is.

I hate PNY video cards though. Bad experience with their 6800GT ruined me on those.

I avoid PNY because of their video cards and the horrible support experience I've had trying to get problems resolved. That's the reason I was so down on them in my last post. I've never used PNY memory before though.

I avoid PNY because of their video cards and the horrible support experience I've had trying to get problems resolved. That's the reason I was so down on them in my last post. I've never used PNY memory before though.

Then it looks like we have the same experience with them in regards to their video cards. They make crap video cards. But I've never had any problems with their ram that wasn't a problem that could occur on any brand of ram.

How long does it take to compile now? Have you experimented with OC'ing it?

VERY noticeable difference.

52 Sec to compile the kernel. using the same kernel config as the previous with the exception of adding support for my ethernet.

I did experiment with OCing. I'm currently at 3ghz. I cannot go any higher as im running 800mhz ram. still havnt gotten my new 1066 memory yet.

P.S. don't use newegg egg saver. SLOW as heck. DHL sucks. ram shipped Monday from NJ. takes 4 days to reach Massachusetts. back when they used fedex as their egg saver. items shipped from NJ came next day to Mass.

Depending on how much you are held back by other factors, you may be able to increase this. I'd try doing a kernel compile with cores+1, and then cores*2 and then cores * 2.5

Does it keep getting faster? Does it not get faster after cores+1 ?

This will help you find a good -j number for make.

Depending on how much you are held back by other factors, you may be able to increase this. I'd try doing a kernel compile with cores+1, and then cores*2 and then cores * 2.5

Does it keep getting faster? Does it not get faster after cores+1 ?

This will help you find a good -j number for make.

thanks for your reply.

It actually gets slower the higher the number I put for -j.

How the other guy has -j64 on an 8 core is interesting. apparently its fastest for him doing that. but slower for me the higher I go after 5

Hello,

I finally got my RAM.

with previous ram I was only allowed up to 2.8 not 3ghz.

with the new RAM i'm not restricted by RAM anymore and managed to get it up to 3.1ghz stable. I could not get 3.2ghz stable for nothing.

with performance test 7.0. I got cpumark of 3797.7. (3171 is the score @ stock 2.33ghz) 626.7 point increase due to overclocking. memory running @ 1063.4 (2.6mhz slower than stock) I got a memory mark of 842.1. with a total computer mark of 1200.2.

On a side note. the Pentium D 3.2Ghz has a CPU mark of 860. Q8200 is 3.69 Times faster than the Pentium D 940. SWEET :-D. I think it was worth 100 bucks

[edit]

anyone know why windows ONLY sees 2GB out of the 4GB that I have. It should at least see little over 3GB.

when PC starts. it says dual channel interlaced?....

here's the CPUz info

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=549189

Last edited:

PNY started out as a RAM-only company (like Kingston); they and Kingston I first heard of as RAM-upgrade suppliers to the U. S. government (via GSA Schedule, of course).

Back